View Single Post

Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 PM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparesa View Post
tech [[email protected]]

"I would never load any lower than the lowest load that we publish. Some books publish a max and a lower load or let you reduce it 10%. Some powders you can reduce, but WIN 296 and H110 do not work well when reduced down too far. It sounds that Winchester lists the Top charges and you can reduce that charge 3%. all of the data we have shot in our manual is safe and you should see no issues with it but these charges that Hodgdon is publishing may be safe but these are velocity ranges that maybe aren't suited to the purpose of what you are trying to do with the bullets Thanks"
Dang, they beat me to it. I don't have Hornady No. 8, but No. 7 has a list of their bullets and their suggested velocity ranges. They have loaded their loads and tested them to make sure they will work, but stopped at the maximum velocity that their bullets perform the best at. Other sources, even though they may be using Hornady's bullets, don't give a rats hiney if the bullets perform or not, that's not the products they are trying to sell. If hornady tried H110 at those charge weights, and they didn't work, they wouldn't have included it in their manual.