View Single Post

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pokeyman View Post
You might want to call S&W to see what they are charging for a really nice reblueing. I don't know what Robar NP3 even is. I carried my Model 10-6 on duty for about 20 years and it was carried by other officers before me. When our dept went to another caliber we were allowed to purchase our guns for $100 (in the early 90's). When I retired I sent it to S&W to be blued because the blueing was pretty much gone and some surface rust was starting. I used that gun hard-it was a tool-but it was always accurate as a laser and never let me down. I want to leave it to my son (also an LEO) and I want it to be in as good a condition as possibe. They did such a great job that when I got it back, I thought they had sent me the wrong gun. I had to check the serial number to be sure it was mine. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Mr. Pokeyman,
Thank you for the warm reply! I should have called Smith and Wesson and I don't know why I didn't. However, I don't really want a Blued Gun (strange as that sounds) as the finish mars too easily and I simply wanted something that was going to look nice and be durable. One of my friends had Robar's NP3 Plus (information here: Robar's NP3 Plus Finish) finish put on a Colt Python that had zero bluing left. It was nice, slick, and ultimately just what I was looking for. It self-lubricates and cleaning just involves a quick wipe-down. The model 10 of mine shown above also has a bulged barrel and Robar just happens to install new barrels so I went ahead and found a used pinned and recessed barrel for them to install on this gun. It should be done in a few weeks or so and once I get it back, I'm posting before and after pictures.
Thanks again!