View Single Post

Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treiz View Post

I thought your post was interesting so I decided to do some tests. Admittedly I had not thought of this problem when I purchased the holster and since I have been using it in practice I have not had this problem. When I do my draw stroke I use the off hand to clear the shirt and the fingers of my draw hand come up naturally under the grip and the gun comes free with out issue.

I decided to try a one handed draw as shown in the picture with the thumb clearing the shirt and coming back down on the grip. Again, as before when my hand drew my thumb naturally slid into place with out incident. I decided to test your idea about the possible roll over blocking the draw stroke. When I put my thumb behind the pad there was some roll over, but it was not enough to stop the draw. Even when I tried to make it roll over as much as I could the gun still came free with out incident. On my 40c the max amount of roll over I could get was not enough to cover more than half of the grip. Perhaps they have already considered this as in the Pic there is a lot of pad over the top of the 1911, but on my new Pro there is very little pad that extends beyond the top of the gun. Perhaps the model in the pic is an older design.
Thank you for confiirming the possibility of the backflap being rolled over by errant placement of the thumb. Your statement about being able to complete the draw stroke (should you manage to get your thumb in the wrong place), fails to communicate the fact that you will necessarily have to readjust your grip to complete the draw stroke. The point being, you should be acquiring your firing grip only once, and then completing your presentation. Any need to readjust or reaquire your initial grip is time lost and an invitation to potential disaster.

You already own the holster, but those still looking may want to ask themselves: Why knowingly choose a flawed holstered design, when better and more time-tested holster designs are readily available?