View Single Post

Old 08-23-2012, 12:53 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,702 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10 View Post
I've had some nasty stuff before, but the one that sticks in my mind is Ouzo.
I'm going to have to enter a dissenting vote here. I'm neautral on the basic licorice flavor, but high-quality ouzo is a good drink and fueled many a fun-filled evening when I lived in Greece.

On the other hand, cheap ouzo can be as awful as any drink anywhere. When you get a shot or two of that into your system, you know that you have stumbled into an establishment whose basic business message is GET DRUNK HERE CHEAP NOW. Sometimes you can get a preview of the coming hangover even before you feel the intoxication.

Maybe I killed my taste buds over there. I also like retsina, the wine that everybody says tastes like turpentine. Five star is a little too refined, but the three star stuff is great. Goes well with oily goat stew.

Brandy and most liqueurs will come back up even faster than they went down. I would make a terrible aristocrat, because cognac tastes to me like something you would give a heretic to tune him up before you sent him down to the dungeon for his interview with Torquemada.