View Single Post

Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 AM

Liked 528 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Old Guy View Post
Well, that's fine because I'm not talking about unlawfully detaining anyone.

Anyway, everyday I thank the Lord Almighty that I don't live in Texas because open carry is no-no there and apparently local government can make up their own rules.
I was not born in Texas, but I thank God every day that I live in Texas, where our state actually carrys out the sentences we have on the books. As for Open Carry, if they had it I would not open carry as I prefer the element of surprize.
I never want to live in another State myself, but occasionally travel to Oklahoma, Lousiana and Arkansas. Attempting to prevent someone from leaving a store based on a legal unenforcable sign, would be a problem for a business owner.
You can ask them to leave, but you can't legally detain them.

I also llke the State laws of Florida, have been there but have never lived there. Texas is unique, regarding laws that allow one to protect property at night I think. There are a lot of criminals who don't like Texas however, because they can't just run off with the loot here, as they can in some of the other states. Other significant advantages for property owners is the Texas Homestead Exemption. no other State comes close except maybe Florida. The SYG laws and deadly force provisions are about the same.

I don't know of any places in Texas that is a problem for CHL holders, as there are in some southern states where there are a few anti-gun mayors who try to harrass CHL holders. There used to be some problems when people were harrassed without permits for having a weapon unless they were traveling. That was fixed when the Castle Doctrine was extended to ones personal vehicle, so lots of people carry weapons in their vehicles who may or may not have a permit.