View Single Post

Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 PM

Liked 9,199 Times in 3,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Nothing wrong with the better Spanish marques. ...
The WWII Astra 600 (bottom) was my first Spanish pistol and (and speaking as a toolmaker myself) ,is a very impressive piece of machine work , if somewhat wonky external design.

There were a combination of reasons for the demise of Spanish arms companies and sales.

Ironically , only Llama is still making guns.

Llama's rate right up there with Taurus, AFAIC.

I think Llama is kaput also. 2004/05 somewhere in there.
Maybe they've come back 'under new managment'! I don't keep up with the new stuff much.
Star and Astra folded in the 90's

I've had many Astra and Star semiautos. I still have a couple Star pistols left, ,, Model F 22 auto models.
I found Star to be very nice pistols and always something a bit different, even if only in size from what the other mfg'rs offered.

A lot of Star pistols sold as new in the late 80s and early 90's in the USA were rehabed Spanish gov't trade-in's. Mostly Model S and it's variations, A & B Super and a few others.
Part of a deal w/the Spanish Gov't which included the contract w/Star for their new 9mm Service auto (M30?)

Of the Llama pistols, the small frame 'Especial' was the only one that ever interested me. The small 1911 look-a-like. I had several from different era's in 22lr and a few in 32acp and 380acp.
The WW2 German marked 32's will get a good price.
The 22's were and are still good sellers. Good shooters too.