View Single Post

Old 09-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked 230 Times in 149 Posts
Default Smaller Peep Hole in MOE Rear?

My old eyes are such that I almost need my red dot or scope on my 15-22, but I still like to shoot irons (okay, MBUS plastics). When I was shooting the other day at the range, the fellow shooting irons next to me mentioned that moving the stock back further helped him, making the sight hole smaller. I moved mine back to the last notch, and it helped marginally, but not enough.

The problem is, with or without glasses, the rear peep hole is VERY blurry. I find myself focusing on it as best I can, trying to center the front sight in it, then try to hold that position while trying to aim the whole thing at the target, which is a blur for me as well.

I'm thinking a smaller peep hole in the rear of my MOE sight would help. I'm already using the smaller of the two, but I don't think it's small enough.

Has anyone ever tried to make the hole smaller? Maybe by gluing a short piece of tubing into the larger hole (which I could remove without messing up the smaller hole)? I would also consider a new rear sight, if I knew beforehand that the hole(s) were a good bit smaller AND that it folded as well. It needs to fold like the MBUS to clear my scope. But I'd rather have a cheaper solution, if it would work.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?