View Single Post

Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 PM

Liked 373 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdajoe View Post
I own both the Ruger SR1911 and an M&P .45 with 4.5" barrel and manual safety. The M&P is overall a superior weapon. Everyone should own a 1911 but I'd choose my M&P over any 1911, even a Brown, Baer or Wilson when the SHTF. About the only benefit of an entry level 1911 like the Ruger is the trigger. Step up to a custom or semi-custom 1911 and accuracy becomes another benefit. However, the M&P will keep banging ****** ammo in the dirtiest environments long after a 1911's extractor went limp. The M&P is more reliable, holds more rounds, is lighter, is more corrosion resistant, is safer (with manual safety), is easier to work on, has adjustable ergos with the different grip sizes and points as naturally as a 1911. It's trigger really isn't that bad. The take up is a little gritty as you pull through the firing pin safety but smooths over time and the sear breaks like glass despite being a little heavy. It's also accurate enough for 25 yard head shots off-hand. Get the M&P.
I have Wilson Combat 1911 and some others.The Wilson has over 100,000 documented rounds through it from 200gr lswc handloads to 230gr full house Cor-Bon hollow points.This pistol has been 99.9% reliable the only problems were with some out of spec reloads.I also have 2 M&P 45s when they reach the round count of the Wilson I will let you know which is more reliable.I don't know where you come up with your corrosion resistant results but there have been many threads about M&P slides rusting,also how do you figure an M&P with a thumb safety is safer than a 1911 which has a thumb safety and a grip safety?I carry both at different times,mostly the M&P if I would have to use it I would prefer the M&P to be laying in a police evidence room.
The choice is ultimately up to the op and since he already has a 1911 buy the M&P.I like mine but they will never replace my 1911s.