View Single Post

Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts

Another vote for the 649 - a "real" Bodyguard. I had the 357 version (2 1/8" barrel) and preferred the slightly longer ejector rod and slight extra weight of the barrel and ejector rod shroud. When I first got it I did shoot one (1) regular power 357 round through it, just to say I'd done it, but even with Pachmayr's Decelerator grip (the largest, cushiest one they make for a J frame) it still hurt. I can't imagine lighting off a 357 round with "normal" carry grips on one of those things. I always carried it with +P 38s, and mostly shot my mild "cowboy" loads for fun. It was a remarkably accurate piece, once you figured out where to hold the sights (8" steel plates at 25 yards were a near-sure thing once I got my eye dialed in.) Admittedly that's not what they're intended for, but I still find it immensely satisfying to step back after doing a bunch of closeup drills and see what the little beasts will do with deliberate fire, single action. When there are spectators, most of 'em can't believe it's possible.

I find the steel guns (I've also had a no-dash model 49 for decades) a bit heavy for ANY of my pants pockets and for any lightweight jacket, but mostly I use an IWB holster so the weight doesn't matter. When I want a pocket-weight gun I'll take a 442 - the difference in weight may not be much, but FOR ME it's the difference between comfortable and pulling-the-pants-down. I like the Bodyguard style enough that I have a 638 on order (also see my comments on the 442 rust thread for why I want the 638.)