View Single Post

Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varthrias View Post
Hello everyone. New to the forum and since I am now a good ol' American S&W Owner I would join the forum and get the information and knowledge I seek strait from other owners.

So, I got the S&W SD40 VE and I love it so far. Have yet to shoot it, as I just got it today, but I got a box of Winchester White Box FMJs just to start breaking the gun in. Gave it a quick clean and hand cycled a few rounds. Well, since they are flat nose, and the ramp is a bit small, it occurred to me maybe this gun wont be keen on feeding JHPs. I read a few things here and there of some having issues and others having none. Wont fully know until I shoot it but any heads up would be great.

I personally like Hornady Critical Defense as well as good ol' Hydra Shocks. Really hope those end up cycling tho.

Thanks in advance for any information I can get.
Welcome to the forum. First off, I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit. Hand cycling ammo is a futile practice. Whether or not a gun will function properly can not be determined by hand cycling ammo, only getting out and sending lead down range will do that.

Secondly, I would opt for a street proven JHP like the Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, Federal HST, or even the old Hydro Shoks, before I would choose Hornady Critical Defense, which to my knowledge there is no data available on real world shootings with that ammo.