View Single Post

Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 PM

Liked 101 Times in 38 Posts

A while back, I bought a like-new Model 15-3 off an auction site for $500. It's nickel-plated and looks as good as when it left the factory in 1977.
Magnificent revolver with 4" barrel.
I may have paid a little too much for it, but I figured that its condition and nickel-plating will do nothing but increase its value. Besides, I wanted something with a little panache, and the nickel certainly does that.
Still, as I said when I created this post some time ago, I wish there were a commemorative Model 15 to honor we Airmen who carried it.
My nickel-plated Model 15 now guards my home, loaded with Remington 158 gr. lead +P hollowpoints. This load was carried by the FBI, Chicago PD and New York PD, as well as other law enforcers. It has an excellent record of being a good stopper and is probably the best .38 Special load in revolvers with 4" barrels or longer.
It's more difficult to get a 2" barrel to hurl it fast enough for reliable expansion.
Wish S&W would make a commemorative Model 15. I'd have a counterpart to my recent acquisition. Might have to get a double gun belt made!