View Single Post

Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 PM

Liked 132 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumLawman View Post
A little nostalgia from nova printex. I bet you won't find these at the typical police collector shows...or wold you?

This has nothing to do with Detroit.....But shortly after this photo was taken, I thought I was going get to witness an actual caning. The guy in the hat tried to sell me some weed and his sister on a back alley in Nassau. So I snitched on him to the Bahamian police....Alas, it must take more to get a caning than dope peddling and pimping. The very polite policeman is carrying a piece of cane about 36 inches long with a metal band on one end. No gun, just the cane.

The gun that won the West (side). East side too! During efforts to suppress the "urban rebellion", cops didn't appreciate having to wear white helmets which drew fire to their noggins, hence the efforts at ghetto expedient camouflage pictured here.

Here we have a "come as you are" gun. Another interesting thing about these pictures: No name tags. Try to put down a riot now without name tags and audio and video 24/7.
It's possible that model 94 is a DPD issue. I grew up in Detroit but at the time I was eligible to join the police department, 1973, there was huge racial tension in the City, as the police chief was running for mayor against a state senator named Coleman Young. Anyway, I ended up in Indianapolis, where about 25 years later I met a Glock instructor who was retired DPD. We had a great afternoon talking about my home town, and swapping stories. He spent a number of years on the firearms training unit, and told me of the first day he spent on the unit. He was deep into the sub basement of the Headquarters building downtown and happened upon racks and racks of brand new Winchester Model 94 rifles, along with pallets of ammunition. Turns out the rifles and ammo had been placed there by the War Department during WWII. There was concern about the Nazis staging an invasion through Canada, and the thinking was that American citizens would be very familiar with the Model 94, so the government had stocked a number of police departments along the northern border with rifles and ammunition. My new friend told me when he retired from DPD in the early 90's the rifles and ammo were still there. Of course these would have been pre '64 Winchesters, and who knows what they would have been worth. I never heard another word about the fate of those fine rifles. Maybe they are still there, awaiting an invasion from the north.

Last edited by cbvanb; 10-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: