View Single Post

Old 10-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Liked 2,358 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
I guess I'm the exception in this group.

Have had a CCW for about 20-25 years in more than one state (Ct and Fl). However, I seldom carry. I believe very strongly that if I'm going somewhere where I feel a gun is needed....I have no business going there! Likewise, I believe that a "live chicken lives to run another day", thus not having a gun ensures that I walk away from a situation which I might not if I have my trusty 1911!

Shooting someone is such a major legal hassle (think: George Zimmerman) that I want as little exposure to this as possible. However.... if absolutely unavoidable, I will carry. That's why I have a CCW. But I actively avoid these situations.
I respect your opinion and your right to not defend yourself. I marvel at the comment "Shooting someone is such a major hassle"
George Zimmerman may be dead right now if he didn't pull his trigger. His case is also unique in a political sense, and remember he was NOT charged until certain activists pressured the local police. That's a different topic, but I think if I am ever forced to use my gun to defend my life, I will gladly take whatever comes next verses leaving a widow and three orphans.

I am from a state where concealed carry just became law, and I was one of the first to get my permit. Carrying legally takes some getting used to! My son informed me last night I was printing at the restaurant, while I thought i did a great job at hiding my little 3913.... He's 11 but knows what to look for so I hope that was all it was.

At home I don't always carry. I have guns throughout the home placed in 'strategic areas'. These areas were determined by seeing where my wife didn't look too often and she wouldn't notice all the guns I have accumulated.

Everyone in my home knows where to find a weapon if danger should present itself, and we live in an area that nobody should be within 300 feet of the house or they are trespassing. Doors are usually locked by way of the closed garage door providing the main family access to the home.

Out and about I usually have the 3913 in an IWB or less often a 9c in an IWB. If that doesn't work for me due to my line of work, a 642 drops in a pocket easily.