View Single Post

Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,116 Times in 409 Posts

Imaposer,

Supposedly, and backed by enough comments and evidence here in the past that I give it credence...shooting full-house .357 loads with bullets at, and below, 125 grains, causes some forcing cones to crack in the K Frame .357 revolvers.

Supposedly caused by hot, erosive powders such as H110/W231, or leaded up/fouled forcing cones, and the fact (not sure if proven) that the shorter 125 grain or less bullets allow more hot gases to effect the forcing cone.

I load my K Frame .357s with 158 grain lead bullets at top velocities and try to avoid H110/W231 (although I like those powders) but if the most accurate load is H110/W231, I will use it.

As k22fan posted, it might take a lot of rounds to do the damage. As Texas Star reports 140/145 grain loads are effective enough and maybe better penetration-wise than the lighter bullets.

I too like the 140/145 grain bullets because if one really wants expansion, he/she might get it more often in the 140/145 grain bullets versus the 158 grainers.

I have also heard that Colt "D" frame revolvers (Diamondback, Police Positive, Detective Special) may also crack forcing cones. Probably from excessive lead buildup.

One person did come onto this forum a while back and he posted a K38/M14 with a cracked forcing cone from standard .38 Specials. He had bought it used and it is possible the previous user caused the problem from failing to clean the forcing cone.

I have since begun to religously clean the forcing cones on ALL of my revolvers, regardless of caliber, after a shooting session.