Thread: S&W model 39
View Single Post

Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 PM
US Veteran

Liked 592 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerman View Post
How can I adjust the rear sight for elevation?
The sight has an adjustment for windage, but does not apear to have an adjustment for elevetion.
My gun shoots about 6 inches low at 15 yards. I have spoke to other owners who report the same problem. Is there any way to correct this? can you get another sight that will adjust? Can the sight blade be replaced and get the sight picture corrected?
You didn't say whether you had a 39 or a 39-2, but it shouldn't make too much difference. There was a change in barrel rifling somewhere along the line from 5 lands/grooves to 6.

The standard sight is not adjustable for elevation, but there was an optional fully adjustable sight made by S&W for the 39 series. You can still find them for sale on favorite auction sites.

The bullet weight makes a difference, as does your sight picture. Try some difference loadings to see which rounds your M39 likes - 115 grain, 124 grain or 147 grain.

Personally, I believe the sights on the early M39 were set up like the target sight picture of the day - usual front sight centered in the rear notch and all the tops lined up, and the aiming point just on top of the front post. I will put a small aiming spot on a target and use the conventional 6 o'clock hold on that small aiming point, and the POI will be pretty much right on. This is with both an early 39 and a very late 39-2 using 115gr range ammo.
The Following User Likes This Post: