View Single Post

Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Liked 15,518 Times in 6,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorenut View Post
So I ordered 158 grain Berry's flat point bullets. If I'm initially loading with Lee dippers.. should I just load what it has for lead starting loads or would this be not enough pressure you think? Right now I'm just trying to play it safe and not really looking for hot loads or pushing anything to its limits.
I used the Lee Dippers when I first started. They are very accurate if you use them correctly. Scoop, do not tap the sides, use a flat edge and level off the top. They are spot on. You can make your own from empty brass or sand down the plastic ones to give you the exact weight you want.

I used any where in the start to max of the FMJ load. You can use the mid to high of the Lead load. It's not critical. Just do not exceed either of the max loads. Generally (I hate that word)plated or FMJ take a bit more powder than lead.

Go Here: The listed Alliant loads are the MAX so take 90% of that as a start. Load a few (10) and shoot those they will be mouse farts, move up slowly.
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

The max for a 158 gr lswc (soft lead) in 38 spl is 4.7gr So I would say anything close to that 5.0 grs (but that's me)

For the 357 Mag it is 6.0 grs for the same LSWC bullet

So the plated bullet has more neck tension so it takes a little more to get it moving than the soft lead.

Keep in mind that the Lee Manual is just a compiled list of data from other sources (manuals and powder companies) Lee did not do their own tests. If that is the only manual you have I suggest buying another, Speer, Lyman or both good.

I also would buy some HP 38/Win 231 as it meters better than Unique. You will find lots of 38/357 load data with it.
Unique is sooty at low charges. But it is still a good powder. I use it in 45 Colt and 41 Mag

Last edited by Rule3; 11-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: