View Single Post

Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Liked 13,794 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
I have one of the earlier models - a 4.0 inch barreled, blued steel version with adjustable sights. It took me quite a while to find it as I haven't seen any used Security Sixes for sale for many years. I am in agreement with what other forum members have said about it. It is built like a tank, and it requires a gunsmith to do a trigger job to it. Mine is as accurate as any of my S&W .38/.357 revolvers. By the way, the SS uses the same speedloaders and leather as the K frame S&W revolvers. I think Ruger did a really good job with the adjustable rear sights. They are built into a bit of a recess which helps keep them from getting banged up, or snagging when you draw, but they are still visible. By the way, mine was used, but in good shape when I bought it for $325.00 OTD. That's about the going price for a comparable S&W, but the scarcity of the SS on the used gun market helped me make my decision. I've got my eyes on a stainless steel SS now, but the owner wants too much for it.

Best of luck,

Dave

Well Dave I have a very early Security Six .357 I bought new in 1972. It was the first pistol I could legally get here in the people’s republic of NY. I wanted an S&W 19 4'', but they were hard to find at the time. My dealer said here try this, is something new. I handled it; dry fired it and said OK. Had to pay in full and wait another month till all the necessary legal bull excrement of NYS was satisfied and I could take it home.

Gun is a tank, but I found its typically Ruger, good value for your money. Now as far as the trigger I'm a pipefitter not a gunsmith but had absolutely no problem putting a better trigger pull on this gun. This was before spring kits came out, but just like Smiths a little polishing in the right places and some work on the springs, (go slow here, it’s faster) and I had a good& dependable pull on my gun. Heck I even carried it as a CCW till I could find a S&WModel 60, that was about a 5 month wait.

Still have the Ruger today, but it’s sort of morphed into a safe queen. I will always keep it due to nostalgia as it was the first handgun I owned.
I have/had a bunch of other Ruger products and feel they give good dependable value for money expended.