Thread: 640 vs 642
View Single Post

Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM

Liked 5,902 Times in 2,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Homemaker View Post
Thank you, 18DAI, I took a look at one on Ruger's website and am definitely interested and will shoot it if it's available. I couldn't tell from looking at the ad, but since you like it, I surmise that it does not have an internal lock ???? If it does not have an internal lock, I believe I'd rather have a new SP101 than an pre-lock 640-1 that some stranger has mauled.

Also in reviewing the website, I noticed that the KSP-321 (357) and KSP 821X (38 Spl +P) are the same price. I'm just wondering, if there are the same price, why would anyone go with the 38 over the 357? Is there any criterion, other than weight, that would make the 38 a better choice than the 357?
The Ruger SP101 does have its own version of the internal lock, but it's a different mechanism and relatively hidden from view. The gun has a well-earned loyal following and I've never encountered serious complaints about Ruger's approach to the lock or the revolver in general. I would definitely keep it on the list of possible purchases -- it's a good one. The trigger pull tends to be not quite as smooth as a S&W, but time or a good gunsmith can easily remedy that, and overall they're a bit blockier and heavier compared to the J-frames. In return you get a tough, durable and reliable shooter that absorbs a lot of recoil.

Good question on why someone would select .38 over .357 in the same model when, according to Ruger's website, weight, dimension and price are all the same.

It's puzzling and all I can imagine is: a) some might feel that the slightly shorter .38 cylinder yields better overall balance in the SP101; or b) they subscribe to the controversial notion that bullet jump from shooting .38 out of a .357 cylinder may adversely affect accuracy.

The bullet jump controversy. | Revolvers, Ammunition | GrantCunningham.com