Thread: 640 vs 642
View Single Post

Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 PM
US Veteran

Liked 299 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Homemaker View Post
Thank you, 18DAI, I took a look at one on Ruger's website and am definitely interested and will shoot it if it's available. I couldn't tell from looking at the ad, but since you like it, I surmise that it does not have an internal lock ???? If it does not have an internal lock, I believe I'd rather have a new SP101 than an pre-lock 640-1 that some stranger has mauled.

Also in reviewing the website, I noticed that the KSP-321 (357) and KSP 821X (38 Spl +P) are the same price. I'm just wondering, if there are the same price, why would anyone go with the 38 over the 357? Is there any criterion, other than weight, that would make the 38 a better choice than the 357?
The Ruger SP101s do not have an internal lock.

Some folks prefer a 38 Special versus a 357. Don't understand the reasoning as I think the 357 gives more versatility by giving the choice to shoot 38 Special, +P, or 357 Magnum. Either the 2.25" or 3" barrel are great choices. For now, I prefer the 2.25" barrel for CCW.

IMO, the SP101s are great shooters, although not the lightest, but easy to carry in a good inside (the)-waist-band (IWB) holster (I prefer a DeSantis IWB holster), in a fanny pack, backpack, purse, etc. The original grips are easy to have a firm purchase (easy to hold), the grip panels can be changed, and Crimson Trace or Hogue mono grips can be easily installed.