View Single Post

Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 AM

Liked 803 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big50_1 View Post
My understanding re early popularity of the .38 Super was that it was a steady seller because it was a powerful cartridge but the Colt Gov't/cartridge combo was not that accurate. Colt headspaced the cartridge on the semi-rim which made for less-than-optimum accuracy. Once current target shooters had barrels made that headspaced on the mouth of the cartridge, the true capability became apparent. Personally, I think it's a really good cartridge. Anybody shed some light on this? Maybe if the .38 Super had been developed more to it's capability in the past, the .357 Sig might not have come into being? Just a thought. (Did some research-the .357 Sig is a .357-sized bullet, autoloading cartridge capable of being fired in a 9mm/40 S&W format (size) pistol; the .38 Super (.356 bullet) was designed for the larger 1911 pistol format. So just one difference right there.)
I own a very nice 57 Guvment Super 38, and it will shoot, more likely ammo, as WW white box ain't bad and 125gr Silvertips are the favorite, it headspaces on the semi rim. One of those rural legends like 45 LC won't shoot, it will, no problem through my 25-5 or either one of two New Frontiers I used to own. Certain gun cranks like to sing these songs for fun and profit. There is an element of truth to both these stories, but my Daddy said don't believe anything your hear, and only half of what you see, seems about right to me, miss you Pappy. Billy