View Single Post

Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,972 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedihessian View Post
I have a S&W Victory model #93313. It has the flaming ball on the butt but i cant seem to find any other proof marks. It does not ahve US Property or anything on the top strap either. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
First off, welcome to the forum.

I'm presuming your serial number is actually V93313, which would have most likely shipped in 1942. If it has a 4" barrel and is chambered in .38 Special, the lack of a topstrap marking usually indicates that it was routed to a "commercial" customer as allocated by the Defense Supplies Corporation, or alternately it may have gone to the United States Maritime Commission. However, some unmarked guns in this configuration did find their way into U.S. Navy hands. A letter is the best way of determining how it actually served the war cause.

If it has a 5" barrel and is chambered for the .38 S&W round, it probably (but not necessarily) was furnished to the British.

A more definitive assessment of your example might be able to be provided if you can post a photo or two.
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"

Last edited by Goony; 12-03-2012 at 11:48 PM.