Thread: Bud's Gun Shop
View Single Post

Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris642 View Post
I personally am uncomfortable with the thought of buying firearms online, especially when I can't return them. I'm very picky, and I want a perfect firearm with an undamaged box, accessories, etc. I've seen too many guns at shops with nicks, scuffs, and other flaws.

Also, when I factor in the shipping costs, transfer fees, tax, etc. and the time and anxiety of dealing with people online, I've found I'm not very saving much after all.
My last 4 guns were bought via the web. I have zero qualms about it. I do enough research (web, hands on, forums, etc) to know I know I want it before I buy it. So, for me, it is a zero issue buying off the web. And I, of course, research the sellers. With the web, you can find out all about a seller.

Of course, I think it totally goes without saying that you factor all related costs from a web purchase versus your local FFL before buying. I think that is a no brainer.

In the case of the M&P 15-22 I bought last week off the web from Oregon, I paid an extra $25 at the end of the day to have it ASAP versus my local FFL who showed no MOE in FDE in the system. So, they had no idea when they could get it - could have been 6 months for all they knew as that FDE is harder to get. So, for me, $25 extra was worth getting it. And, that extra cost was all due to the shipping in the end. At the end of the day, the web sellers base cost was much cheaper and had it not been for shipping, even with transfer fees it would have been cheaper than my FFL out the door. But I accepted that - in this case - given the fact you cannot just find MOE in FDE that easy.

I will also say this... I am nearly 100% price dependent on my shopping. I will generally buy from whomever is cheapest. In this economy, I go for the best deal. Period. If my FFL has it cheapest, fine I buy. If a web seller has better (with ALL costs factored), fine I buy. I have no allegiance to any shop or store, I have allegiance to saving money, my bank account and getting the best deal as I work hard for my money and I feel good with that mentality of saving first and worrying about patronage to a shop later. Customer service is nice and all, but I won't care about that in 2 weeks and I don't require much CS as I know what I want exactly. Saving $100 on a gun, I will care about forever.

Last edited by Locked-N-Loaded; 12-05-2012 at 01:06 PM.