View Single Post

Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 AM

Liked 93 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdetsgt View Post
When I joined the Kern County Sheriff's Department (CA) in 1953 they issued me a 6" Model 10. I had never shot a handgun before. My first night on duty the desk sergeant paired me with an old veteran deputy. I don't recall where he was from, but he had a strong southern accent. We worked the 11 PM to 7 AM shift. So we drove off in our black 4 door 1952 Ford sedan, heading out of Bakersfield toward the honky-tonk bars on Edison Highway. We came to a stop sign, and he looked at me like I was chopped liver and said, "Boy, you ever shot a hand gun before?" "No, sir," I answered. We drove on for a few minutes then came to another stop sign. "Boy, no matter what happens tonight don't you touch that ****** thing." "No sir," I said, "I won't."

After we got off shift at 7 AM he took me out to the river and taught me how to shoot, all on his own time.

A year later I made the department pistol team with that old Model 10.
I left the department in 1956 due to an injury. I have no idea what happened to that gun, because when I joined the Imperial County Sheriff's Department as a detective in 1960 I didn't have it and bought a J-frame. I have a fantasy that some day I'll wander into a GS or a gun show and there it'll be, and that I'll recognize it. Sure. Another old man's dream...
Great story there. Thanks.

For me coming from the Colts, I much prefer the guns with front and rear sights as I have seen some like the Official Police that dont shoot to point of aim too well.

How well do most of the 10s do vs point of aim? What do you think the best loads are, the 125-130s or the 158 lead bullets?

I am going to look at a 10 to go with my S&Ws. There are a couple of great looking nickel ones here too.

Thanks again.

Last edited by TexasRider; 12-11-2012 at 03:14 AM.