View Single Post

Old 12-24-2012, 07:44 PM

Liked 9,314 Times in 3,723 Posts
Smile Testing my converted revolver

From an email to Hamilton Bowen earlier today:

The attached photos show a "group" shot at 15 yards on an indoor range about an hour ago. Almost all of it can be covered by the loaded moonclip shown in the second photo. It took me a good close look to realize that the top hole was actually two rounds hitting very close to each other. I shot this double action, too. Amazing for me, given my crummy vision etc. This revolver has an XS front dot and a Bowen rear Express sight - nothing for precision.

The ammo for this group was Georgia Arms 45AR loaded with 200 grain CCI bonded JHP (I presume Gold Dots). I am not sure I care for that ammo; although there were no signs of pressure in the primers or cases, it was just a little harder to extract than I liked, even though the stated velocity is 825fps, well within the standard pressure envelope as I understand it. I only shot 12 of them.

The bullet strikes were a little high seeming until I took off my dunce cap and perceived that the gun was sighted for a 6 o'clock hold, at least for my eyes. I am also off to the right about ... 2" or so at 15 yards, which may also be a function of my eyes and/or being left handed. It was pretty consistent with all ammo types; the 12 rounds of 45AR, and about 100 rounds of Black Hills 230 grain ball, and a few rounds of Gold Dot 230 grain JHP (my old duty ammo). When I do some cleaning this afternoon I'll work on the sights a bit. I may also have to find some better grips; the monogrip seems a bit slick to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moonclip over group.jpg (61.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg groupof6.jpg (35.6 KB, 54 views)