View Single Post

Old 12-25-2012, 02:26 AM

Liked 193 Times in 80 Posts

Interesting thread, and many good options. I'll toss out my opinions as well.
After trying 2 different 317's I gave up. Just can not shoot them very well. Best I can do from a rested postion is 3 inch (8 shot) groups at 15yards. Not good enough to hit a rabbit or squirrel. Loved how light it was, but if I can't hit with it, it is a nice paperweight. But there again, I also carry a Beretta Bobcat that weighs less than the 317 and it is far more accurate with the fixed sights. Now trying out a Ruger SP101, 4.2 barrel, 8 shot, weighs 30 ounces.

Owned some 44 Mountain revolvers and a 329. Much preferred the Mountain models over the 329 as the recoil in the 329 with full power loads was simply terrible. Before you call me a wussy I also own a 4in S&W 500 as well as a short barreled 500 JRH. The 329 is brutal, period.
Now in relationship with a Ruger Bisley with a 3 3/4 in barrel. Not a double action but still makes a small package. Thats about as short as you can go on a Ruger.
Like the idea of the 2-3 inch S&W 44's but just not sure I want to buy one yet. Maybe someday. I think if Smith would come out with a hybrid model combining parts from the 329 with the Mountain revolvers and keeping the barrels in the 2.5 - 3 inch range and weighing 32-25 ounces they would have the best of everything.