View Single Post

Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Liked 6,774 Times in 1,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Or build that muzzle loading kit that uses a flintlock or matchlock. You'll slow down your shooting to a crawl and not worry about primers.

The other method is to learn how to disassemble shotgun primers. They seem to be in good supply. Some muzzleloading guns actually use 209 type primers. Kill two birds with one musketball!
I have a .577 Enfield musketoon and a mould for making Minie balls. I have enough FFG Triple 7 on hand to keep that gun fueled for a very long time and since I competed with it in matches I have hundreds of musket caps, which are the easiest things to get and cost next to nothing compared to 11 percussion caps and 209 primers. I felt that if the proverbial excrement hit the fan and I needed to go hunting for deer I could not use a better gun for the job and if I needed to take on a singular opponent that 475 grain Minie ball will get your attention in a hurry. I have told several guys I know not to worry about paying the huge and inflated prices on AR's or AK's right now and instead snag a decent .30-30 or maybe a pump Remington 760 carbine with its short barrel in .30-06 or .308 and buy reloading supplies to go with it.
I think people over rate themselves and their rifle. If you are a singular shooter facing multiple opponents equally armed you better be one hack of a shooter to take them on and you better be Lucas McCain from The Rifleman to actually beat them. People have watched too much Hollywood to think that one guy can beat a whole bunch in a firefight. I can tell you that you would be better at stealth and evasion than brute firepower. I have nothing against AR's personally but I know if I had a lever action .30-30 I would not that I was lacking because they can hold their own in a common sense encounter.