View Single Post

Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts
Default Your Watch Battery: how long?

In early December, the battery to my beloved TAG-Heuer watch began flicking the second hand in several-second increments, indicating that it's time to change the battery. It was maybe 3-5 years since I had that done. I bought the watch about 1998-2000. I disremember (or unrecollect) the exact date.

Well, by late Dec., my also loved Seiko Sports 100 from the 1980's also began the second hand tick trick and the watch was dead in about three days! The TAG is still working, and I SWEAR that I will find time to get the battery replaced next week, now that the mall mobs from the holidays have dropped off. It's that or use my cell 'phone to tell time.

My second Seiko died this summer, and I need to fix it, too. All three need batteries. And the jeweller whom I trust to clean the watches, check and lube the seals, and change batteries wants $45 each.I am not rich...prob. won't do all three at once.

How long will YOUR watch work after announcing that it needs a new battery? And how long will a fresh quartz watch battery last?

My brother who wears a cheap Casio says that his battery is supposed to last for ten years, and the watch cost less than it will to replace a battery in any of mine. I'd still rather wear my watches.

Last edited by Texas Star; 01-05-2013 at 01:16 AM.