View Single Post

Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,195 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default Help with head light/dash light "flickering."

Hi Guys-My 1980 f-150's (restored/garaged) lights are flickering, and once in a blue moon they go out momentarily. Things go better, it seems, when I have the rheostat set to the brighter setting. I would appreciate your experience. Thanks, Flapjack.

Update: Hi Guys: well, I changed the light switch, and the lights seem to be brighter, but could be my imagination. There is still flickering in the headlights and dash lights. I have not driven very far at night to see if the lights go out, but that was a very rare occurrence anyway. I should probably have mentioned this before, but I am far from being an electronics guru-real far! But anyway, my truck has a very Hi energy ignition system: MSD ignition, coil, wires, and a Mallory uni-light distributor. It also has Iridium plugs. I had the thought that the rapid pulsing of the ignition, which fires multiple times instead of just once on each cylinder, may cause this problem, or that the wires, which are probably 6-8 years old, may be losing the ability to insulate, (pause for laughter) like I said, no guru! I would appreciate your thoughts, and clarifying questions. I can live with the situation if the lights will stay lit with reasonable certainty, but would feel better doing what needs doing to fix it if reasonable. Thank you for your help. Flapjack.

Last edited by amazingflapjack; 01-12-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: update