View Single Post

Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM

Liked 99 Times in 24 Posts
Default The "coolest"....Model 27!

To answer the question: The 27 always had that touch of uniqueness and distinction that the successive owners of S&W thankfully never filtered out. What else can you say about an N frame (clearly the coolest frame size) that features not one, but TWO unique barrel lengths joined by that wildly unnecessary but uber-cool checkered topstrap? And a revolver that's so clearly overbuilt...those little teeny holes in that great big cylinder speak of potential loads featuring crazy pressures (Kids, don't try this at home... ) In an age when S&W makes a massaged Centennial available in .357, the 27 is a magnificent anachronism that harks back to days of desperate highwaymen and the lawmen that kept them in check.

My current 27 is a '72 27-2 3.5" blue that I've personalized with a .312" smooth combat CC trigger (for some reason, the .500 grooved target just seemed too big for a "shorty") and a pair of Keith Brown smooth Goncalo magnas. I found a beautiful old Bluemel (El Paso, TX) basketweave holster in light tan with a butter-colored goatskin lining...I'm in 27 heaven!

One of these days when I get the hang of posting pics here, I'll share her with you all, but it might have to wait 'till I get a little more up-to-date 'puter...my ten year old mac's showing its age!
The Following User Likes This Post: