View Single Post

Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Liked 8,917 Times in 2,575 Posts

Wow, is this a zombie thread! I wonder what Doc Mark eventually ended up doing.

I like my Bearcat for a classy little woods gun, but wasn't super impressed with the accuracy. In '93, when Ruger brought these back, they spec'd them with barrels that could handle .22 Mags. I don't know about you, but I've never found Single-Six guns set up this way to be all that accurate with .22 LR.

Anyhow, after seeing what Boge Quinn did with his, I sent mine to Hamilton Bowen and had him convert the Bearcat over to .22 Mag and regulate the sights for the caliber. And I put on Sack Peterson elk stag stocks (set up for a southpaw - it's a perfect lefty gun now) and a Belt Mountain base pin (unnecessary, but I like the way it looks), and bought it a nice little Mernickle holster.

Throwing Winchester 40-grainers at c. 1450 fps at this altitude, it's kinda neat to have along. It's not one of my more accurate handguns (nothing like the Ruger Old Army - good Lord, that thing is impressive), but that could be somewhat due to the fact that it's just sort of so small for my hand (I have similar issues with J-frames) and the trigger reach is kinda short for me.

At ten yards, Win. 30-gr.:

10 yds, Win. 40-gr. FMJs:

But it's not supposed to be a tackdriver - the Bearcat is a happy fun gun that feels classy.