View Single Post

Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inch357 View Post
And it has nothing to do with the question. I would love to ban the phrase "do you want to get shot with one" I don't want to be shot with a BB gun - so what - that's an absolutely meaningless statement. The idea is to stop the threat as quickly as possible - not something any 22 handgun loaded with anything is very good at. This isn't the movies people; when you shoot someone with your 45ACP Hammer of Thor you best be prepared for the possiblity of having fire returned and perhaps taking a hit. Be resolute & keep shooting until the situation is resolved. (Handguns aren't really the best choice in the first place, however it's kind of hard to conceal a battle rifle.)
Not so meaningless as it means that no one wants to be shot with anything which you also believe. Historically and statistically, most people do not want to be shot with anything and will stop at the sight of a gun. Read some of Massad Ayoob's articles or those of others who have actual experience or compiled data. I found that the retired LEO I know drew their guns a lot but not one of the 8 in my family or circle of close friends, ever shot anyone in their long LEO careers. You go on to state that even a .45 is ineffective so how does that make a .22 any worse? I can only go by my experience in combat and as a civilian. In combat I saw men stopped when shot in the toe and some who absorbed a lot of good hits and still kept coming until they bled out. As a civilian I saw one shooting. A big guy was shot once in the belly by a .22 Saturday Night Special and immediately clutched his stomach and went to his knees. Personally I have twiced been attacked, once by 3 guys and each time they fled when they saw my gun without asking what caliber it was.

The truth is that so much time is spent arguing about calibers and which gun when the dirty little secret is that the odds of even needing a gun are slim, having to shoot it even slimmer and having the caliber make a diffference even smaller yet. We all spend a lot of time talking about things that will never happen to the great majority of people. I tend to prepare for the possible that is likely rather than the unlikely simply because it is possible. When a gun is the answer, it seems that no odds are too small.

In case anyone is curious, I carry either a 9mm or .357 LCR when I leave my home. The reason why is simple. My last confrontation was with someone armed who was about to rob a store. When he saw my gun come out of my pocket he fled out the door. He did not seem to care that it was just a .22 revolver. However, I was wishing like heck that I had carried one of my many bigger guns that day and since then it is either a 9mm or .357 so I never have to feel that way again. I only have experience against flesh with a .45 ACP but many police departments seem to do OK with +P 9mm and the .357 is still arguably the best man stopper out there. I do sometimes carry a .22 when I feel that I do not need a gun.