View Single Post

Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Liked 2,358 Times in 1,117 Posts

Just to learn, I tried making my own holster.

I found a place online that sells horse hide, they actually give you a couple of free kydex samples when you order from them. Kydex is very inexpensive.

They had clips, screws, rivets, everything anyone would want to use.

I had such good luck making my first holster I ordered more and made four more. It's as simple as cutting the horse hide with a tin snips or heavy shear, heating the kydex in an oven or using a heat gun, press the kydex over your gun, trim the kydex then to fit your leather, drill some holes and insert the little screws (I use rivets now).

For about $8 you can make a holster. The clips are the most expensive parts! If you are having a hard time finding a holster you like, why not give making your own a try?

You really can make it just the way you like! And if you want to change the leather for more coverage, more cant, wider clip spacing, just cut a new piece. Horse hide costs about $15 for enough to make 6 to 8 holsters.

To tighten the retention warm the Kydex and mold it closer to the gun. To loosen it, warm it and it relaxes a bit. I put a slight outward bend at the top to facilitate reholstering. You can cover more of the gun or less, cover the barrel or not. Raise it, lower it, round bottom or cut out, we're only talking $2 and 2 minutes to start all over.

What I have ended up with now is holsters that perfectly fit ME like a glove, and isn't that what we really want?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0155.JPG (140.1 KB, 21 views)