View Single Post

Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
My preference is for NO ports on a defensive handgun for a couple of reasons... if the revolver needs to be fired from close retention position, that places the ports pointing straight up toward your face and ear (and close to your clothing) - the negative effects of blast, burning powder, and noise (and, possibly, heat) to you, the shooter, from this shooting position should be clear enough to go without further description.

Secondly, I want as much blast, fire, sound, and pressure as possible to be directed in one direction only - straight away from me and focused directly on the threat.

I think the benefit of porting on a large magnum hunting pistol can make porting worthwhile. Other than that, I would never choose a ported pistol for defense purposes.

We each make our own personal choices in such matters and to each his/her own.
I'd have to agree. I don't have much experience with ported revolvers, but ported or compensated rifles are about the biggest abomination to hit the firing line. Can't imagine firing a .357 or .44 indoors sans hearing protection in a sd situation.

On another note, a tip 'o the hat to DHart for teaching me a good chunk of what I know about photographing handguns back a couple of years ago via some very helpful posts! How about some tips on rifle photography?