View Single Post

Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Liked 4,628 Times in 1,050 Posts

Depends on which generation, what you need it for, your experience, and who you're asking . . . .

since I'm the one answering (my opinions . . . ) I don't care for the "new" bodyguards at all, so if we're starting from there I, personally, would pass.

If we're talking the prelock model 38's, 49's and such they are excellent snubbies for what they were designed for. Not something I'd recommend usually for a first gun or a non-shooter but then there are a lot of guns I would not recommend to those types.

Self defense ? Plinking? Target shooting? Bear hunting? Ok, throw out bear hunting . . . no one gun is going to do everything well. For a reliable, concealable self defense gun one could do a lot worse than an airweight model 38 Bodyguard or it's all steel sister the model 49.

If you're not an experienced shooter I would guess you won't practice much with a snub since the ammo will be a little pricey if you don't reload, they are not pleasant to shoot for extended practice sessions, and it takes some time and good instruction to handle and shoot one well.

About now you're probably sorry you asked . . . or at least that I was the one who answered . . .