View Single Post

Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
Correct. A "chamber check" is actually what I am doing.
I must apologize for my post. Sometimes I type without engaging my brain. I didn't mean to come off with a condescending attitude, but it seems that I did. I'm sorry for that. I tend to be a stickler for terms and go overboard. Just like "clip" we all knew what you meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty357 View Post
If u are ever in a self defense situation and u have to "half slide" your weapon or even slide your weapon. You may as well go ahead and use that bullet on yourself.
You are right about this. Then again, if you're doing the chamber check properly, you won't need to do it during a fight. However, I have personally seen several shooters insert a mag, rack the slide and start to shoot only to get a click instead of a bang. For whatever reason a round was not chambered. A chamber check would have prevented those clicks.

Here's an interesting thought and I wonder if anyone else has done this. I noticed this problem when I first got my M&P 45. But, what exactly does it mean to be in battery?

My 45 slide moves back about 3/16" before the barrel starts to drop away from the slide. So, I did a test. The distance where my slide "stuck" was not enough to keep the gun from firing. Obviously this can only be tested with an empty chamber or at the range, but test it I did and found my gun will still shoot as long as the barrel/chamber is fully engaged with the slide.

My explanation may not be good enough without pictures. I may make some later today.