View Single Post

Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM

Liked 9,337 Times in 3,499 Posts

You didn't say what you are reloading for or how you'll be loading them but I recently read a fairly in-depth article at Leverguns.com testing large pistol (& rifle) primers in the .500 Linebaugh case with a moderate dose of slow powder. The WLP primer had the second worst in Standard Deviation & was worst in Extreme Spread, in this test setting ?!?

.500 Linebaugh Primer Test

I don't think that the test means to imply WLP are inconsistent in all situations. The moderate load (for a 500L) of AA1680 (actually WC680) was 30grs. It seems to say to me that the WLPs can handle "regular" primer duty better than "magnum" primer duties. The WLP is labelled for standard & magnum loads. I personally don't see how a primer can do both ends of the power range well (light loads of fast powder with light bullets, to heavy loads of slow powder with heavy bullets) without doing one of them not as well (over do or under do) as the other. Wouldn't it have to compromise somewhere? I guess that's why we have other choices to best suit our particular combination.

FWIW.