View Single Post

Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts

As a new member, I was wandering around this Forum, came upon this thread. CAS was just starting to become main stream, found a beat up Uberti 45 Colt, 4-¾”. Didn’t cost much, so picked up a .480 reamer, and reamed out the cylinders. Took .444 Marlin brass, (a friend has a lath) and cut down the rim dia, and thickness, and cut the length so it was the full cyl length. Now S&W has conveniently come out with the .460, (which just is a 45 Colt on, LOTS of Steroids) So now, all one has to do, is cut the case to correct length. Have loaded with shot from #12 to BB, and it seems that #4’s work best for the rabbits when I am mowing lawn. Very easy to load. Just made one extra die. (picked up a old die, threaded a rod, which is long enough to push down the, over power wad, I use a .44 copper gas check). Put in a paper, (grocer bag brown paper) ‘wrap’, Cut in a trapezoid shape from a template, shot, and a cardboard over shot wad, bit of a roll crimp, and a dab of Duco cement. Powder, leave that up to you, consult your re-loading books, suggest you aim for a 7-900 FPS load with the weight of the ejecta. Works a WHOLE lot better than one of the, ‘new’, toys on the market now. And a LOT easier on the ears and hand. This is not a new idea, I remember seeing a write up in a old magazine when I was a kid, with someone doing this with a 1917, (Then a ‘cheep’ gun), with .405 Win brass.