View Single Post

Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Liked 59 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiRebel View Post
Haha! I was lucky enough to find a Ruger 10/22 a few weeks ago (I swear I got the last one in Lancaster County!) and grabbed the kids and ran them over to pick it up.

My 5 year old little girl and 2 year old little boy were angels at the shop, and they brought not a few smiles to the people working and shopping. They pet the fox pelts, they said, "Hi Bear!" to the bear head mounted on the wall, and they asked a lot of VERY astute questions for being as small as they are.

My daughter wanted to know why I didn't just hand over my money and leave the store new gun in tow. I had to explain that we were waiting while the employee ran a background check on me. She wanted to know why I needed a background check, so I told her that the store owners wanted to make sure that I wasn't a bad guy before they sold me a gun. She then thought about that a minute and asked, "Do bad guys sometimes shoot people?" So I had to explain how bad guys do sometimes shoot people, and that was why we wanted to make sure only good guys could buy guns. She thought about that and decided that it was ok for good guys to have guns because they can then shoot the bad guys before they hurt people. (I was super proud of her!)

Her next question was, when she is old enough, can I teach her how to shoot a gun too! She even thought about that for a minute and said that she is too little to shoot a gun now though, so maybe I should get her a BB gun to start with.

Needless to say, I am now trying to decide whether I want to go with a BB gun or maybe an airsoft gun so she can have a gun to learn basic safety and shooting until she is big enough to graduate to her own .22 (She thinks the pink Cricketts are wonderful, LOL)
Outstanding!!! A quote came to mind when reading your post:

"Train up a child in the way he [she] should go: and when he [she] is old, he [she] will not depart from it." - Proverbs 22:6

You, sir, are doing it right! I was also reminded of an old TV show with Art Linkletter - Kids Say the Darnedest Things! Kids are honest and open...and often have more common sense than many adults, especially those in Congress and the White House! It seems your daughter is already wise...she must have a very good teacher (or two) at home...
The Following User Likes This Post: