View Single Post

Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Liked 54 Times in 19 Posts

I would say that getting on the antique gun show circuit would be a nightmare unless you have oodles of time on your hand and like to spend lots of money for travel, rooms and meals. I mean, sure, you might find a guy at the first show who buys everything you have--but more likely you'll still have half your guns after going to ten shows.

If by classified ads, you mean advertising in your locality, that has its own pitfalls. Do you tell responders your location and have them come by your house? Meet them somewhere? In a very real sense, such ads basically say "I have guns. I live here. Come steal them". Plus you will undoubtedly encounter the deadheads who 1: are lonely and just want to talk, or 2: the cretins who want to trade you their outboard motor that used to run, or some such, for your gun/guns, or 3: the obnoxious jerks who bad-mouth your gun/guns in hopes of getting the price lowered.

Auction house sales were well covered by the responders above.

Selfishly, I too would like to see the guns listed here on the Forum for sale, as I love the little 32/38 Top-Breaks and would like to add to my small gathering. But I couldn't afford to buy all your guns and undoubtedly you would like to sell either as a whole or failing that, in blocks. You could try a listing here of the whole collection or blocks thereof and see what the response is. Listing on "Gunbroker" would be my second choice, personally, but there you would almost certainly have to list the guns individually and Gunbroker fees would cut into your takings. Others above have listed the other on-line auction problems of dissatisfied buyers/returns and etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Ralph Boineau in central South Carolina