View Single Post

Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Smith& Wesson model 457 want to refinish

Hello everone,
I'm new to this forum and I have a question.
I have a S&W model 457 that the finish is wearing off of it and has a few good scratches on it. I either wanted to cerakote it, or or possibly strip the finish off of it and just leave it a stainless steel look. I know the slide is stainless and think the frame is aluminum.

My question is, what should I do, cerakote it, possibly like an all black or od green. Or should I strip it and leave it like a stainless look? I know if I don't reblue it im prone to rust, but im willing to take extra care.

How should I start the process of stripping it and what type of sandpaper and stuff should I use?
I bought the gun cheap, so I dont mind investing a few bucks in to it. I think I paid around $200 for it.
I'm doing this from my phone so im usure how to add photos from here, sorry in advance.
I just wanted to get your opinions and see if anyone has done it to the same or similar gun before and possibly has a photo of it or can give me some tips, like what type of sandpaper, and is this too much trouble to go through for this gun.
I really love this gun, but might just trade it off for some AR parts to complete my new build.

Again, thanks for any and all input and info you guys can provide me with and I hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,

Mike.

Last edited by corvino; 02-11-2013 at 06:45 PM.