View Single Post

Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,744 Times in 2,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter686 View Post
Hello all - Let's hear it about J-frame grips! With pics please!

What are most comfortable to shoot? What are the most concealable? What are the best looking? What are the best compromises of the above?

I'm particularly interested in Airweight Centennial suggestions in the comfort department.

Thanks in advance -

Shooter686
In my mind, nothing looks as good as standard S&W wood. Nothing feels as good as Hogue Bantams. The wood equivalent, I suppose, is something like a "boot grip." I think that type was first made by Craig Spegel, but now almost every maker of wood grips has a combat grip that is sawed off at the frame, which is what distinguishes the "boot grip" from a "combat grip" that extends below the frame.

By the way, my remarks are really only for pocket type carry. If you carry in a purse (for the ladies) or in a holster (unheard of around here for a J frame), then there is no reason not to get a real combat grip.

There are plenty of those around also, and the ones that look the best, in my opinion, were the ones made by S&W back in the day.

I guess the theme to my remarks is tradition and advancing age. For the most part, I can do without Zombie green and pink and laminated rainbow looking stuff. Walnut, Goncalo Alves, Rosewood all look pretty good to me!