View Single Post

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM
US Veteran

Liked 19,399 Times in 6,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat1221 View Post
If I did this right , here is my little 32-20 any information on it is appreciated. And this is a great thread.
First, welcome to the S&W Forum. Glad to have you aboard and I'm also happy to see your first post be about a .32-20 Hand Ejector. I love these guns!

If I'm reading the serial number correctly (28269) this should be a Model of 1905 with the first engineering changes and it should date from about 1908.

That being the case, the stocks probably are not original. The recessed gold medallion stocks did not start shipping until about 1911. And looking at the photo of the butt, they do not seem to fit quite correctly. Nonetheless, they are quite nice looking and there is nothing wrong with keeping them on this revolver.

The barrel length looks to me to be 4", which was one of the options at the time your revolver was assembled.

The barrel legend on this revolver should say 32 Winchester CTG. It should appear on the left side and the right side is probably blank. It should have patent dates on the top.

The blue looks to be in pretty decent shape, although I think I see some patina on the back strap - which is not unusual on these older HE revolvers.

You can check for matching serial numbers in five places (there would be a sixth, if the stocks were original).
1. Bottom of the grip frame (you showed us this one).
2. Rear face of the cylinder.
3. Barrel flat (on the bottom of the barrel above where the extractor rod sits when the cylinder is closed).
4. Reverse side of the extractor star (towards the cylinder).
5. Back edge of the yoke arm (very difficult to see - you have to shine a light on it from an oblique angle and look through one of the charge holes).

Jack
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318

Last edited by JP@AK; 02-18-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to close a parenthesis.