Thread: Ok to dry fire?
View Single Post

Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,779 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
I just picked up a really nice 4" nickel plated Model 34-1 .22 revolver and was wondering if it's ok to dry fire it? I've been told by those who "know" that it's ok, and others who supposedly "know", that is isn't. I am waiting to hear from someone who really knows LOL.

Not wanting to take a chance on screwing it up I'm not doing any dry firing until I'm certain that it's ok.

Thanks
I don't know if Smith & Wesson is considered "in the know" or not , but the original instruction sheet for the Model 34, page 4, paragraph 7 under Helpful Hints, states "Practice dry shooting with empty gun."

I have always taken S&W at its word, even with its rimfire revolvers, and have never had a problem. There is a limiter when prevents the firing pin from striking the cylinder face. Now admittedly, I have only been dry firing mine for a little over 40 years, so maybe something will break or some little mark may appear on the cylinder face on the rims of the charge holes which support the cartridge, but I suspect I will be long gone before there is a problem, so I won't care.

If you go to the link below, you can see the Model 34 instruction sheet. If others have actually had a problem, ok, but I never have and will continue the practice of dry firing so long as I live and am able to shoot.

Keep in mind, I do not claim to be "in the know" more than any other person. I simply read the instructions.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_34-35.pdf
The Following User Likes This Post: