View Single Post

Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 AM

Liked 8,584 Times in 2,782 Posts

In a self defense/home defense situation, putting six .44 Special or .45 ACP HPs on target will be a problem solver very quickly. I had a similar quandary (posted in another thread) and decided to get out of the .45 ACP business and go with the 29/629 platform. I have more options re: which revolvers to shoot, types of ammo, etc. Admittedly, .44 rounds are more expensive than .45s, so that is a consideration. I will also say that one of the deal breakers for me was the weight/manageability of .45s in a moon clip vs. .44s in a speed strip. Carrying a few loaded moon clips to the range was like having a pocket full of rocks. The .44 speed strips were heavy, but as they as flat, were much more carry friendly.

One other issue to consider is barrel length. What options are you looking at? A 629 or 625 in 3" is going to give you considerable more muzzle blast and follow up shot difficulty than a 5" or 6" barrel. I have a 629-1 with a 8-3/8" pipe that shoots like a carbine, but I'm going to have it re-barreled with a factory 4" so that I can carry it. If you're going with a SD revolver that is more of a desk drawer gun, then 4" - 6" should suit those needs. If you're going to carry, 5" or 6" is big to lug around. You might want to give some thought to tracking down a Night Guard in either caliber ... good revolvers, albeit discontinued. NIB models on the auction sites are pretty pricey, and may not be the best values when compared to 29/629s or 25/625s.

Last edited by mc5aw; 02-25-2013 at 12:55 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: