View Single Post

Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
Speaking to a neighbors teenage son last week he was telling me how they are taught in school that we lost the Viet Nam war. Being a sharp lad I informed him that in fact we won the Viet Nam war. Perplexed he asked how that could be, so I enlightened him to the facts.
1. We compelled the North Vietnam to sign and agree to the Paris Peace accords in 1973. Thus ending the war, freeing our POWs and we withdrew.
2. Two years later the North violated the terms of the accord and invaded the South once again.
3. The US Congress refused to fund the South or recommit troops and so the South was defeated and South Vietnam not the USA lost the war.
I told him to ask his teacher, how do you lose a war when you departed two years earlier. Yesterday this bright teenager told me he questioned his teacher, who did some research and came back saying he was right. To many teachers have learned about Viet Nam from the revisionists leftys who protested the war later becoming teachers themselves, then they perpetuate the lie over and over. Those of us who were there know better.

Thank you for your post. I had suspected that most teachers, especially in college, are "left" and teach things like that. A great many were probably draft-dodging by becoming teachers and avoided Vietnam service.

When I was in college, I handed out some Rhodesian government literature giving their side of the terrorist war there and that nation's decision to leave British rule. I had a very liberal history teacher who mouthed off about that and said that she intended to fail me because of my views.

Fortunately, my Journalism teacher heard her in their lounge and told me. We got it sorted out. But you can imagine how that teacher felt about the Vietnam involvement!

Last edited by Texas Star; 03-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: