View Single Post

Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 AM

Liked 6,257 Times in 2,328 Posts

Boresnakes for cleaning? I very much like them. I have been using various caliber Boresnakes since at least 1996 in everything from revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns. In my experience they are very effective.

When it comes to a .22 LR rifle, I very rarely clean the bore. I have found that I get more consistent results on target by establishing a bore condition and maintaining it. I brush/clean/wipe out the mechanism of the rifle and remove any bits of debris. I do the same for the bolt face, etc. I do not routinely dismantle the action unless it has gotten particularly nasty.

I shoot my S&W 18-3 a lot. Because of the nature of the design of a revolver, I find a more detailed routine cleaning is necessary, depending on the brand of ammunition being used. Some brands leave a good bit of soot, etc. requiring that the cylinder be brushed out approximately every 50-100 rounds. Other brands all one to keep shooting with no difficulties chambering or extracting up to say 350 rounds. For cleaning at home I will wipe out the bore w/ a damp patch using CLP. I'll of course clean the rest of the revolver in the normal manner.

For semi-automatic .22 LR pistols, I do a similar cleaning routine. At present I have only one such pistol, a Marvel .22 LR conversion unit for my 1911. I leave the barrel alone. Everything else gets wiped down to remove soot, grease and other firing residue. Then it is lightly oiled and stored.

For rifles ... it depends. I dearly enjoy shooting vintage military rifle matches using 1903, 1903-A3 and M-1 Garand rifles. After a match I will wipe out the barrel in the normal manner using Shooter's Choice w/ a rod, jag and patches. Because I shoot cast lead bullets in the 03 and 03-A3's, I wipe out the barrel between relays w/ a dry bore snake. The result is that the first round of a string always goes into the group. With the M-1 Garand I use a boresnake to clean the bore after a match. I do not take the rifle down except at the end of a season of shooting. This has allowed me to not have problems rezeroing my rifle in preparation for matches, etc. My M-1 Garand match rifle is a 5.9 Springfield (1956) that was rebuilt at LEAD in 1966 w/ a new SA barrel, etc. It routinely puts the first round from a clip of ammo into the group. I do not take it apart for routine cleaning for the same reason I don't take a bolt-action rifle apart for routine cleaning... it is not necessary/needed unless the rifle has been exposed to inclement weather.

Shotguns? I can't remember the last time I cleaned the bore of my shotgun. It is a 870 given to me by my parents in 1970. I have used it for all manner of shooting in all kinds of weather and conditions. Today it is in excellent condition. I've occasionally brushed the trigger group and wiped it down with a oily rag. From time to time I pull a Boresnake through the chamber and bore. But I can't say it is because the bore is fouled.