View Single Post

Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked 1,489 Times in 570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumLawman View Post
The state laws that require you to inform have nothing to do with officer safety, so I'm not sure where the idea that it's "courteous" to inform comes in. The intent of the law is to help prevent an innocent CPL holder from getting shot when he inadvertently exposes the gun that he forgot he was carrying, while going for his license or registration, and justifiably gets one through the head from the cop. The legal requirement to inform, where present, has absolutely nothing to do with "officer safety" since anyone planning on shooting a cop isn't going to tell him first (barring some kind of stupid suicide by cop scenario). The law is meant for CPL/carrier/citizen/driver safety.

As far as expecting some sort of break because you informed me you were legally armed? Not a chance. If you get a ticket, you get a ticket. Exercising your second amendment right has no bearing on my decision to write or not.
It's for our own good, sure.

Presumably to protect us from cops like you, who talk about "putting one through a citizen's head" at an otherwise routine traffic stop?

No thanks, I'm glad I live in a state where I'm not legally required to disclose. Your comments are actually making me rethink my position to disclose at all.

Last edited by Waywatcher; 03-11-2013 at 04:20 PM.