View Single Post

Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM

Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grb View Post
I was in the same boat as you. Couldn't see spending $100-150+ on a red dot for a .22 that's used primarily for plinking.

I wanted a reflex (open) style vs scope style for more peripheral vision, which ruled out a lot of options (I'm still not sure if that was the correct route).

Anyway., I chose the Mueller Quick Shot and got it for $95 shipped with a free tshirt and decal from joeboboutfitters.com
Mueller Quick Shot? 1×22×33 (Black) - Mueller Optics

I couldn't find any negative (or positive for that matter) reviews on the various forums and such, but I went for it anyway.
Apparently, Mueller is more known in the Turkey hunting world. I figured if it could handle a turkey gun it could handle my .22 .

All that said, I can't compare it to other red dots because it's my first. But other than reflection in certain light situations it's spot on and I love it. I'm hoping reflection/glare is an open sight problem regardless of brand, but I may be wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.
I'm in the same boat as you were as I am not trying to spend more on optics then what the rifle costs. I also at first was thinking of getting an open type reflex like yours but after a little research I found out about the reflection/sunlight issue. Seems as though this is remedied with the "hooded" versions. I was going to go with a truglo model but it looks way too bulky. This may sound stupid but I use to play COD like crazy and hated the small (to me) tubed red dots that you could put on guns. I never liked them as they gave me a small field of view through it. I always played with open reflex sights on all my guns. Yeah I know, it's not the same with the real thing.

So I found this one from Vector optics that I like because the hood is somewhat thin and is also open on the sides, so it gives you the benefit of both an open and hooded reflex and it's not as bulky as the tru glo. Only thing is that I can't find any reviews, good or bad about it. So i'm going to take a chance and try it out. I REALLY like the way it looks and the fact that it has a quick release latch. When I eventually get my long range scope I'll likely get it with quick release latches so I can switch between the two easily.
Vector Optics Ratchet 1x23x34 Multi Reticle Red Green Dot Sight with Quick Mount | eBay

Last edited by QuiQNeZZ; 03-15-2013 at 12:44 PM.