View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W-Fan View Post
Spent hours reading posts of problems but bought one anyway. Problems reported:
Take Down pin wiggles out
Firing Pin breaks in some guns whether it's dry fired or NOT (1 gun broke 3 before S&W replaced gun)
Laser drifts initially but adjusts in by turning all the way one way then working it back
Laser/battery screw loosens & slide malfunctions/won't open all the way (must be sent back to S&W)
Laser on-switch quits working working, needs switch replacement
Magazine jams/won't go all the way in unless fiddled with
Sometimes triggers will get stuck all the way back

Fixes:
Switch mod: Improve switch function with a tiny slice off the end of a ball point pin tube / improves tactile touch
Use blue locktight on the laser screw. Not too much because it needs to come out to change the battery, Get extra screws, check tightness when cleaned
Get new model (SN: FAZ or later) to avoid the take down problem

MY SN IS KAF6xxx. I figured out how to field strip the BG when the laser screw gets loose (without sending it back to S&W): Step 1: Pound a nail into the top edge of your work bench leaving about 1" exposed, wrap a piece of tape around the exposed 1". Next, while holding the handle with your left hand, push on the nail with the muzzle end of the slide until it moves back about 1/8". The nail should be between the barrel and the guide pin pushing against the slide and the bottom of the barrel. The take down pin should be even with the notch under the letter "U". With your right hand begin turning/working the take down pin while you SLIGHTLY rock the gun-slide back and forth. At the same time apply a constant pressure clockwise on the take down pin. Keep working it and the pin keeps moving the slide until it rotates clear of the keeper spring and VIOLA!!! Out it comes. Keeping it positioned is HARD; the hammer spring keeps changing tension which is the reason for the nail. Next get some blue locktight for the screw.

Hopefully this will work on previous EAJxxxx and forward versons.

PS: I took mine all apart and found the tip of the laser screw & threaded female insert had an orange rubbery compound, which probably has the same function as loctight. Also I was thinking if you're on the range and the screw comes loose it might be possible to hold the gun vertical and gently tap on the edge of a table while trying to rack it. You'd tap the area below the laser with the idea of trying to randomly wiggle the screw down low enough to let the slide go over the top. It might also help to pull up on the front of the slide at the same time. The extra slop between the lower and slide might be enough to get it over the head of the screw. An empty mag will help it lock open if it breaks free.

Ironically I don't have ammo yet so haven't even fired it.

I'm confused on the the serial numbers you use in your post. I bought mine in mid Feb. 2013 and is it has a test fire date of late Jan.2013. The serial on mine is an EBX----. I don't understand how they could have gotten to KAF---- already? What did they change at the FAZ---- S/N?