View Single Post

Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 AM

Liked 285 Times in 113 Posts

I don't think the postwar years were as devestating to colt as dabney indicates. Colt still had a very strong market and following well into the 60s. Chic Gaylord spoke VERY highly of the Colt Official Police in his Handgunners Guide of 1960. Calling it "rugged and dependable" praising it as the finest service revolver that has stood the test of time. Didn't think too highly of S&W's either. Claimed the OP could handle loads that would turn S&W K frames into "shards of flying steel"

Personally I prefer the Colt Official Police (though I do like the S&W Model 10. My dad has a M-10-5 that I got him for his B day 8 years ago. It's the gun he simply calls "A Thirty Eight Special" or "My Thirty Eight Special" that he grew up associating with police in the 1950s in Jackson, MS.)

Anyway, the Offical Police used to be more common than Glocks are today and for a MUCH longer period of time. Half a century. It is in fact built on a larger frame than the Model 10. It has a larger cylinder with thicker walls. It has a heavier barrel. (except for the HB version of the M-10, which Gaylord actually admired S&W for having done in 1960 but still wondered about the smaller cylinder). Personally I don't mind the stacking. Not only have I gotten used to it, but it actually helps me in accuracy in a way. It causes the shooter to squeeze instead of jerk not only the trigger but the whole gun...almost making it feel like a part of your hand by the time it goes BOOM

Last edited by Doug.38PR; 03-20-2013 at 02:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: